Friday 15 August 2014

Mac Printer Drivers for Old Printers

I have a Canon i560 printer but Apple's Mac Operating System no longer supports it. Canon do not have a driver for their old i560 printer for the new Mac OS. Gutenprint  (formerly known as gimp-print) is the answer to this printer problem.

Gutenprint is a suite of around 700 printer drivers including models by Canon, Epson, Lexmark, Sony, Olympus, and PCL. Apparently many of these drivers match or even improve upon the official drivers. That's great, but my need was to find a driver for my old printer that worked with my new computer.

I don't know how they manage to keep 700 drivers working with new operating systems, it must be a hell of a job or some exquisite software design. To be honest I don't really care - it works and that's good enough for me.

The process is very simple a 12MB download and then a straight forward installer. One program that solves all your printer problems - well it solved my problem anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment