Friday 5 April 2013

Pibow: The Raspberry Pi Case

I didn't like having my much prized Raspberry Pi (loaned to me by a good friend) resting on a cardboard box looking cool but vulnerable to my quite regular drink spills and clumsy dropping of heavy and/or pointy items.  I wanted a box to put it in - so I got one.



I had planned on making a box for it, but on a whim while hanging around in Maplins I bought a special box for it.


It took 2 minutes to assemble, everything plugs in, it looks great.  For £12.95, more than half the cost of the RPi itself, it may be a luxury and not entirely aligned with the *very* affordable philosophy behind the RPi.  However, it has lego compatible holes in the base!

I had a look at the online Pibow shop which sold it for the same £ as Maplin although with more colour options.  The story behind Pimoroni is interesting.  Sheffield sounds like it's got a pretty cool support network for small business startups.  The manufacturers also give back something to the community that supported them which is karmically cool.

I made a schoolboy error when assembling it, can you spot it in the picture above?

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you've got the top cover on the wrong way round.
    Are raspberry pi's actually useful for anything? Don't know much about them but they seem cheap....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was the cover well spotted.

      The Raspberry Pi is useful for loads of stuff, I'm trying to use it to play videos on our old TV over the network. Of course, I'll write another blog post about that!

      Delete